Thursday 11 October 2012

A bright start to the day


Awoke this morning to some very positive feedback from a customer who recently attended my intensive driving course, what price do you put on feedback?  Either good or bad it is extremely useful to receive.... and very kind of people to take the time to give. 

Also slapped on the computer were a few post it notes of scribblings I wrote last night after watching a lecture from Paul Collard, Chief Executive of ‘Creativity Culture Education’ at the Scottish Learning Festival (I’ve pinged the link up on my Twitter if you are interested).

Included are things like..... ‘risk raises motivation’, ‘connect teaching with ethics/morals’, and “I moderate my learning behaviour according to the emotions that my Teacher is displaying”.  But I think my favourite bit was his talk about the global findings of PISA about comparing interest/confidence to test scores.  

The thrust of his message was challenging this desire to inflict ‘pain’ while learning in the interest of test scores, at the ultimate price of affecting the persons outlook on the subject for the rest of their life!  The compelling evidence contrasted achievements across the planet in grades but how they affected the wellbeing of the students.  

I could not help but draw comparisons about how we are teaching our young people to drive (or in some cases pass tests) and consider how ‘fit for purpose’ this training actually is for the rest of their driving lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment