Friday 12 July 2013

How to discover "Golden Nuggets" by Tom from Big Tom Driving School


Intensive Driving Course in Peterborough or Grantham


I make a point of asking the customers of my intensive driving courses, (once they have passed the driving test and the dust has settled), what it was that made it work for them.  More often than not, they will mention one thing that happened that really ‘clicked’ with them.  I call these “Golden Nuggets”; things that occur that have a measurably positive outcome on the learning experience.
 
I had one of these moments at the turn of the New Year whilst on a ski trip.  Our instructor got us to do a drill (which not everyone embraced, more on that later), and this drill was a defining moment for me.  At once, ‘it clicked’, the ‘penny dropped’, it was a ‘light bulb’ moment, however you care to describe it, but my ability to traverse across the mountain, even in semi-ice patches measurably improved once I had experienced this “golden nugget”.

The key word in this blog title though, is actually “discover”.  One definition is ‘...to obtain knowledge or awareness of something not known before, as through observation or study...’.

In other words, there is a definable transfer of learning.  The choice that we all have is whether we encourage that transfer of learning, or not. 

One member of my ski class decided she did not want to do the drill I speak of above, and over the following days, my Wife and I watched her enthusiasm, confidence and motivation melt away into the snow with every passing day that her ability did not improve.

And so my message with this blog, is to be open to discovering these “golden nuggets” – they are often very personal to us; my Wife for instance got very little from trying out the ski drill I refer to above, but she DID give it a go.   Be willing to try new techniques, be happy to personalise your learning experience and discover a “golden nugget” that means something to you.  They can be as ‘off the wall’ as you like, it really matters not, but it’s being prepared to experiment and discover these little gems.  The reward is truly phenomenal, it improves ability, increases confidence, stimulates further learning, builds trust and develops success.



Good luck with your driving lessons!  


www.BigTom.org.uk/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment