Friday 24 February 2017

What is the point?



Tom Ingram from BIG TOM Driving School discusses how teachers leaving the teaching profession can indirectly help PDI's to stay on course

An excerpt from one isolated article that is describing the teacher retention and recruitment crisis:

As one former teacher, Zoe Brown, who quit last year, told The Independent: “In some ways I don’t feel like a teacher at all anymore. I prepare children for tests and, if I’m honest, I do it quite well. It’s not something I’m particularly proud of, as it’s not as if I have provided my class with any transferable, real-life skills during the process. They’ve not enjoyed it, I’ve not enjoyed it, but we’ve done it: one thing my children know how to do is answer test questions.”



I attended one of my son’s parents evening last night where it was said more than once by teachers, “So George, what you need to do is just get better at taking these tests.  I can help you to revise, there are strategies for taking the tests to ensure you are reading the question properly.  You see, if you can do this George, I can see no reason why you shouldn’t come away with a “x” grade.  But you do need to really focus on these tests George.  Will you do that?”

I’m looking at George, a face of despondency.  I turn round and look at this slow moving chain of parents all being served with similar sounding advice.  Due to the storm last night, and having no power in our streets, we get back from the school with fish and chips. We discuss over the meal about why the target grades are lower than his achieved grades in 2 subjects; it turns out to be some technicality of the true meaning of “target grade”.  George is subjected to yet more stern words of advice from my wife and I about application, focus, perseverance, aspiration blah blah blah.  “Oh boy, what a thoroughly miserable existence” I think to myself as I look at my poor son.  Every day in my office I see his face in the photo above.  How utterly sad.

As Zoe says above, the pupils are not enjoying it (I see enough of them in my driving school car that backs that fact up), the teachers are not enjoying it, employers are stating that school leavers are falling short – it is nothing short of a complete disaster, and without wanting to appear overly dramatic, is not far from wilful neglect of our young talent. 

When the dust had settled last night I went on my facebook and put “There goes another Parents evening…. I don’t know how teachers do their job…. I really don’t    #respect”

It would appear teachers are increasingly choosing NOT to do their job – and frankly, who can blame them?
The fundamental reason why I believe any trainee driving instructors need to take heed here is because this situation, the obsession with tests, is just demeaning to all.  The definition of “demean”: 1. Cause a loss of dignity or respect for  2. (demean oneself): do something that is beneath one’s dignity.

I taught a 60+ year old retired English teacher how to drive a few years ago.  Occasionally, these people come into our lives, enrich us, and then leave.  It’s most annoying… the “leave” bit.  He echoed all of the above; he retired early.  I can’t say with certainty whether he used the word “demeaning” to me, but that was the thrust of his grievance.  A teacher all his life, on top of his game, about as much of an expert in his field as you are going to find, and he can stand it no longer and retires.  Shame on the politicians – they have much to answer for.

So my advice in summary is if you do choose to come into the industry of driving training, don’t lose sight of the fact that we are working with creatures of soul, dignity and complexity.  Don’t let the subject of “tests” get in the way of a wonderful learning experience.



Tom Ingram provides PAYG driving training for trainee driving instructors 0775 607 1464

No comments:

Post a Comment