Monday 27 February 2012

Heckle away - get it off your chest!


Had a strange day yesterday.

Started off by taking an early learner  (6 hrs in), to the wrong location to practise.  We had set the objective to try out some more emerge/turns in an area he has not been to yet, and I had added the subject of ‘meeting situations’ which was bound to come his way in the process of getting there.

Having set the area as Yaxley I had made the observation that some of it is real tight down there, good experience.  So as we get there, before we really got stuck into the emerges/turns, we came across a parked car on the right, and an oncoming 4x4, was not holding back.... he just kept coming – which spooked my learner, and in his desperate reactions he mounted the kerb.

You could argue that the 4x4 was at fault and so dismiss the mishap, putting it down to someone else.  But as I explained to my learner, the ‘fault’ was entirely mine.  It was a great example of choosing a location of convenience rather than the best location for the objectives.  My learner had driven back to his home for the first time in the previous session, so I was conscious that he would be driving away from his home for the first time yesterday, so I didn’t want him to be driving anywhere too challenging to begin with.  And sure enough, getting to Yaxley was NOT too challenging, in that respect my plan had worked, but Yaxley was definitely not the right place for the objectives set. 

It resulted in me driving us somewhere far more appropriate and he had a dream of a session.  The situation was recovered.  Thankfully I had not lost that all important trust and respect element required in the relationship between instructor and learner.  It was a good reminder for me, especially with a check test coming up soon, that planning is absolutely key.  In the spirit of ‘client centred learning’ that the DSA are embracing, this setting of what to do, when and where needs to be 2 way but we can’t simply lay all the onus on the learner to set these objectives – as can be seen, it could have quite disastrous consequences.

My last session was 7 – 8.30pm and I had one of those moments where I could not remember for the life of me ‘dedicated lanes’.  We were doing approaching r/b’s, where the intended exit was 2nd on the left, but lane 1 on the approach, was ‘dedicated’ for the exit of 1st left only.  You know when you have a word on the tip of your tongue but I could not get it out?  I did some frantic flicking through pages of my Highway Code, and Know Your Traffic Signs books, but I could not find it.  Looking back now, I realise it was just a silly moment, but at the time, I was all consumed with trying to remember the word!

I got back home and checked out my driving Facebook page (BIG TOM Driving School), about 9pm.  I found that a chap 4 minutes earlier, had put up a comment on my ‘hazard perception’ video clip.  Briefly to explain, I had filmed a stretch of road about a month or so ago, and asked the viewer to consider all the potential hazards that they could see.  I uploaded it to my YouTube channel (2010BIGTOM), and although there had been 30 odd viewings since, no-one had actually put any comments on the vid clip at all.  So I put a list of the potential hazards that I saw, and plonked it up on my Facebook page for my learners to take another look.  This chap last night who is unknown to me personally, wrote something along the lines of:

“If you are going to put up a video of hazard awareness, at least choose somewhere that has some hazards.  What is your point?”

My reply to his comment is still on the Facebook page, and I can only assume had the effect of raising his awareness on the subject of hazards, because within 2 minutes of me replying to him, he deleted his original comment.  Which actually is a shame, because however technically naive his original comment was, you cannot deny, judging by the tone of it, that it was genuinely believed. 

I can only assume he is a learner, as he is viewing one of my driving vids, on my driving page.   So it just goes to show you how someone can view a road ahead, and have zero perception of hazards – even when you draw their attention to it – when actually, the road is riddled with potential hazards. 

A sobering thought.        

(Just as a little ‘by the by’, if you get a chance, take a look at the vid and freeze frame it at precisely 2m 23secs  That large black mark in the road that you can see, is a massive skid mark that as you can see swerves violently to the left.  I was able to see that whatever had caused that skid, had swerved completely off the road and straight into that ditch on the left.  There were no flowers there, so I hope no-one died in that incident, but I wonder if the chap who put up his comment last night would have spotted that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment