Friday 5 May 2017

University College London

One of the other resources listed in the "Additional Resources" of the RAC Foundation document relates to the University College London.  There is a really good link to their resources, www.ucl.ac.uk/behaviour-change/resources  Listed in there are 2 publications that I think will be very useful for me, ABC of Behaviour Change Theories and also The Behaviour Change Wheel.  I have attempted to purchase the paperbook versions but it appears there is a password restricted access so I've contacted them to ask if it is possible for me to purchase them without being a student... WIP.

Moving on.

Barriers and Facilitators.

Barriers to pupils for identifying when driving conditions change:

unable to envisage consequences (cause and effect)
too willing to be influenced by pace of drivers around them
eyesight issue
not considering the full scope of factors that might affect driving conditions
not looking up far enough to see factors in time

Facilitators:

previous experience has demonstrated to the pupil the need to do this (either as passenger or driver or in a related experience to travelling in a car)
the driving instructors influence
role models reinforcing the need
making a connection between the theory knowledge and practical skill


Within the "emotions" balloon shown on the image, there appears to be considerations here.  The first is the "Anticipated Affective Response" ie. how the pupil imagines feeling AFTER performing the behaviour.  My initial thoughts here include, accomplishment, proud, progress being made, safer, responsible, mature, independent, clever/smart, happy.
The other aspect with emotions is the feelings being experienced by the pupil at the time which are not necessarily linked to their intentions.  I think this is quite important for my behaviour.  I am initially thinking here, hard work, stressed, proud, tired, regret, disappointed. 

Within the "norms" balloon, there are again two different types that I need to consider.  The "descriptive norm" which raises the question whether pupils will consider that others are also performing the behaviour.  Having read some of the data within the Road Safety Observatory last night, I think this question could actually be pretty important for me to properly consider.  Will my intervention raise pupils beliefs that peers are also doing the same - I'm wondering here if I could make use of my YouTube driving channel in this regard? 

The other "norm" is called the "injunctive norm" and relates to how my pupil believes others will interpret the behaviour; what others EXPECT the pupil to do.  Apparently this is a very strong factor when the pupil really values the opinion of the other person concerned.  I'm thinking parents here.  Can my intervention encourage pupils to believe others WANT THEM to perform the behaviour.  I'm wondering here if I could include space within my assessment sheets for the parent/role model to add their comments about how the pupil has done so far.  I provide a Day 3 assessment on my intensive driving course and also a Day 5 assessment - this would be absolutely ideal for parents to reinforce their opinions of what comes up in the assessment but also it confirms that pupils are actively involving them and there is effective communications between them.  I guess there could be potential issues here if the parent was to either not appreciate the feedback given on the assessment or worst still, disagree with it.  Food for thought.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment