Tuesday 10 April 2018

Know what you know, well

I found myself earwigging the other day in my local cafe while enjoying a cooked breakfast; an annoying habit I can thank my Mum for who is a master at it. She can seemingly listen to me talking while actively hearing an accompanying conversation nearby; at the same time!

A couple of a similar age to me were at the next table in a great debate about how the depth of their daughter's learning in a vital subject (history I believe from memory) was showing as lacking now she had started doing mock tests.  "But the problem she has is that she can only answer questions that they have previously covered in practise questions. She doesn't have the depth of knowledge to be able to answer ANY other question that may be asked".  I could feel the pain, I really could.  If this poor mother could, she would take the exam for her daughter.

Just a few days ago I was browsing my twitter feed and stumbled across a disgruntled history teacher who was expressing his considered fixes regarding students who are unable to read or write to a sufficient ability for practical use at university.

The reason for me raising this is because this is all extremely relevant to the challenges that driving instructors face on a daily basis.  The judgement of one's ability (at anything) is a skill.  Being able to think, for oneself, to accurately evaluate performance is clever (not necessarily 'intellectually clever', but smart).  Many obstacles can prevent this not least the fact that when we are not particularly good at something, we tend to think we are abler than is the case.  I say "the fact" because it is just that. 

How any person perceives the experiences they have in life and personally "makes sense" of what occurs inside them and around them is intensely unique.

How a pupil considers his/her thinking is termed as "metacognition" and as driving instructors, we would do well to pay attention to this subject. Our guidance in this skill is essential in maintaining realistic expectations.  It is one thing to get this wrong and suffer a lesser exam grade, but very 'real' should it affect road safety.  When you independently assess pupils competence in driving, you are helping them to calibrate their ability to understand what they know and not know.  I'm not naive in realising that some pupils (and even parents) will not appreciate that service you are providing, but it is a very worthwhile activity within a learning environment that any skilled trainer is adept at performing with confidence.

In summary, this blog is attempting to raise your awareness of how pupils perceive ability and the importance we play as trainers in developing their skill of metacognition.   If you feel that you could benefit from learning more about this subject, do get in touch (0800 689 4174)

No comments:

Post a Comment