Tuesday 12 February 2019

Do you care if your pupil is enjoying your training?

How do you feel about learning to drive?

Out of 100, what figure would you put on your mood before doing driving training?  Let's say that 0 was "oh no, I hate these driving lessons, do I have to keep doing them" and 100% was "brilliant, I love driving, I cannot get enough of these driving lessons, they always make me feel so good"?

The insouciance of driving instructors about such things is common and regrettable.

It is a fact that some pupils will cavil at the prospect of taking driving lessons, and a seemingly trivial remark or body gesture may mask a deeply held anxiety or pressure.  If a driving instructor ignores such signs and continues to provide training unctuously, the superficial, false environment will soon be punctured.
  
One of my sons told us at a recent teatime that he spent the first lesson of the school day, rolling around in mud playing rugby.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable time.  Given the fact that it had been raining almost continuously for about three days, I asked him about the shower facilities.  It turned out the school had removed them all about five years previously.  Such decisions can easily dissuade students from enjoying subjects I thought.  

My other son has just finished five years at a school that has a swimming pool within the same four walls and yet had no opportunity to spend 1 minute in the pool.  

Bear these two points in mind when you next hear of the obesity levels of our youth.

I recently read that proportionately less young adults are learning to drive these days.  If you tap this into google, you will notice that this kind of headline has been around for many years.  If there is any truth in it, then it would be interesting to know what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment