Friday 13 January 2012

Continued learning beyond the test


This subject of ‘continuous improvement’ is as relevant for us as driving instructors and trainers, as it is for our learners.

The DSA demonstrate the importance they place on it quite nicely in section 5.2 of the Driving Standard. 

It presents a challenge for me, one that I’m still working on.  How can I foster this idea in my learners’ heads that there is a need to always be open for continued learning after the test?  I can’t give them an analogy about bringing up kids, which is a great shame, because boy am I continuously learning in THAT regard!  I can’t really compare it to school academic qualifications.  I do make the point that good grades at school open doors to options at college/university, and that then opens doors to careers.

But generally speaking, this is a hard concept to get across.  ‘Safe driving for life’..... yea, I can see the need, I really can.  I speak to my learners about how our techniques of driving change with the passing of time, for the better and the worse.  I give real examples of that.... we sit up somewhere pre-chosen by me, and watch; if you pick a good place, 5 minutes observation will be time well spent.  I point out refined driving techniques and I show techniques that leave a little to be desired. 

I have found that occasionally, the attitudes of this subject can already be advanced by the experience of a tragic accident, or sometimes an accident involving serious injury.  And so those learners need little reminding of the need for constant attention at all times.  But I have to say, rarely do I hear a learner speaking about the desire to actually ‘improve’.  I have not had one learner take a Pass Plus session, I have not even had one learner take up a free annual refresher session that I offer – what does THAT tell you about this subject?!  About 60% of them will book up the free motorway session that I offer post test. 
I wonder how much of the resistance to the subject is related to the young age – it can take a wise head to be willing and prepared to reflect on how you can improve on any aspect of your life.  But seeing as I inform the parents of my learners of these free sessions before they even start the course, it surprises me that the parents don’t intervene either.   I mention it on the phone, it’s on the website, I Twitter about them, I put them on Facebook, I include them in the Starter Pack I provide.... it’s not for the want of trying I can tell you.  But people don’t seem to value the concept. 

I’m conscious that I need to work on it more.  Despite the fact that I know of no other driving school offering this free annual refresher session, I’m aware that I need to look at my attitudes and responsibilities on this subject.  It’s tricky.  I wish I had an answer to pass on to my PDI’s on this subject.... I find it difficult to even identify another driving school to benchmark on the subject.  It troubles me that although I know I cover the subject in my training, and I provide the opportunity, I’m not aware of very much active involvement by my passed pupils.  

No comments:

Post a Comment