Tuesday 14 November 2017

Method of learning

One of the key aspects of a driving instructors work is how well they appreciate that people will > learn in different ways <.  This kind of sentence is often regarded as glib but in fact, this is the stuff that differentiates quality of training.  Let me give you a personal example to demonstrate the point.

I monitor a variety of people on social media relating to politics, music, driving training and education.  One such person popped up recently on Twitter making the point that a serious driving fault will be marked on a driving test if you do not use a bus lane that is legally available to you.  Whilst across the 5 driving test centres I use, this does not affect me at all, I've driven in London many times, and the significance of the point being made was not lost on me.  So with my curiosity spiked, I decided to investigate.  You could say that from the moment that I disbelieved the statement, I was now in "learning mode" - clearly, there was sufficient a knowledge gap in my own mind that meant I could not discount the statement.  Although I have personal experience of bus lanes in major cities, my daily routine does not include them, so in that regard, I have a lack of understanding because although I am under the impression it is not illegal to not be using an available bus lane, I have no knowledge AT ALL how these things are assessed on driving tests.

Let me briefly go through the steps I took to learn.

I watched the YouTube video of the ADI who put the statement up originally and that then put me through to another video created from a different provider who was also making the same claim - between just those 2 videos they had 125,000 views. Many of the watchers were commenting how unbelievable this situation was and unfair...... quite.

I contacted the ADI on his Tweet and asked a couple of questions which sparked just a one word reply - hardly comprehensive I thought.

I pulled out my copies of "Know Your Traffic Signs", "The Highway Code", "Driving the essential skills" and "Theory Test for Cars" - nothing.  I looked up DT1 online - nothing.

I contacted the DVSA helpdesk who could not help but knew a man who can.  I then initially emailed this chap from the DVSA and then 2 days later had a 15 minute telephone conversation with him.

It turns out that it is unwise to make such comments about the outcomes on driving tests like it is a given.  When a candidate goes on a driving test, an examiner will be assessing their ability to drive as though that is the first time they have ever driven in that area.  As such, would it be reasonable to expect ANY driver in those circumstances, to have the ability to read bus lane signs and know with confidence whether they could be using the bus lane?  Clearly not. 

So the statement being made is technically incorrect.  Let me be clear though.  To say "If you do not use a bus lane when it is legally available to you will fail your driving test" is technically incorrect.
Driving tests are assessed in their entirety, and a driving test that would otherwise result in a 'pass', would not become a 'fail' with the presence of this isolated incident.

There I have it.  My knowledge gap is now better than it was.  I accept I am no expert on this, but I now feel I have more accurate knowledge on the subject than I did a few days ago.

If you just think through the process there for a minute, this is important to acknowledge.  Firstly, my previous experience sparked a curiosity on a subject that whilst it had no direct relevance on me, I did feel the need to ascertain for sure what the situation was.  I knew that by not driving in the available bus lane was NOT illegal, that again was from my own experience and knowledge but I did not know how it would be assessed on a driving test.  None of the driving test centres that I use daily has this particular situation crop up, so I had no first hand knowledge.

I started down the integrity/authenticity route.  I recognised that the (incorrect) opinion was not isolated.  I saw that dozens upon dozens of viewers of the videos were very much affected by what was being claimed - and this sparked my interest more.  I engaged with the author.  I sought knowledge in my resources.  I checked a DVSA driving examiner document online.  And lastly I engaged direct with the DVSA and then specifically with someone who has that degree of knowledge.

The path I took is personal to me.  The options I had available were varied.  But my point is the degree to which I learn is directly related to the method I choose to learn.  Our learners are just the same.  My PDI's are no different.  ADI's that I assist.... just the same.  It is about as fundamental a point as I could possibly make ESPECIALLY to a PDI coming into the industry.  

I don't see it as my responsibility to enforce learning in any particular way; if you think it is your responsibility to get your pupils to learn YOUR WAY then that really is a mugs game and is why car insurance for newly qualified drivers is as high as it is.  Trying to force pupils to learn to drive in the manner in which you prescribe is at best amateurish bordering on unprofessional.  

BIG TOM - Driving Instructor Training.  Engage HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment