Friday 13 December 2019

Authenticating what you say

A very interesting discussion with a pupil recently centred around blind spot checks.

Roughly, it went along the following lines:

I was attempting to show him the difference between 'chin to shoulder' observations vs blindspot checks

The resistance came for two reasons:

a) he felt that he did turn his head sufficiently for a blind spot check (I thought he did not)

b)  is a blind spot check really necessary

It's interesting because what we think we do, we don't necessarily do.  This was demonstrated very nicely within some CPD I did where I thought (as an instructor) I was doing a blindspot check, but as my trainer stated, I was not.

  <This is covered in a previous blog>

Look for a sight of the right ear, by the way, a good clue.

As such, when you know you are right (you must know you are correct), then the question comes down to, "Are you going to listen to my feedback or not?"

It's quite a good and valid question.

Point b though is good.  Is it actually necessary?  Nice question.  Rarely do pupils say this, but they most definitely think it.

This becomes a question of chance, risk, gambit, odds.  

That is a personal chance.  

Please don't attempt to transfer your own opinion at this point.  That is a very common mistake to make.  For some, not only will your advice be unwelcome, but honestly, this is the stuff that turns customers away.  At this point, all I can respectfully ask my reader to acknowledge is the benefit of experience.  As a writer, I can only assume you wish to improve your ability by taking the trouble actually to read this blog.  Franchisees for BIG TOM automatically receive these pointers, it's automatic.  Don't under-estimate the quality of this information.  

As such, be strong, you have facts, data, the research behind you.  De-personalise this if you need to.  Show DVSA publications.  It's vital as you are authenticating what you say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment