Friday 13 December 2019

... has that dog had it all again?

"Mum?  Mum? Sorry Mum.  But I can't sleep," Lucy felt sick.  
"What? Why?"
"Don't know.  Think it's because of the test."
"Bloody hell Lucy-Lou, you had me worried there."  Sheila started to sit up into her bed.  She patted the mattress and smiled at her daughter.
Lucy sat down with a big sigh, "I don't know what's wrong with me."
"It's my fault darling, I'm exactly the same.  I can't take tests for toffee.  I remember once I had to do a test in drama, I only had 3 lines to remember.  One of them was: 'But where?  Where should we run?  Where should we hide?  It's all too much...'   Mum raised the back of her hand to her forehead in mock distress.  
"Yea?  And what happened?"
"Instead of that line, I said one of the others."
"What did you say instead?"
"I can't find the milk, has that dog had it all again?"
Both of them laughed.
"Bloody hell you two," Mike was stirring, and smiling from what he had just heard. "What are you playing at?  Do you realise the sodding time?"
"It's your daughter; she's worried about her driving test."
Lucy whispered, "Sorry Dad, go back to sleep."
"I wish I bloody could, I've got sodding Meryl sodding Streep here by the sodding side of me."
Mum winked at Lucy.  She mouthed, "He loves me really."
"Do you think I'm going to pass Mum?"
"The only thing you'll be passing is wind if you're anything like your Mum in stressful situations."  He was awake now, he turned to see the two most precious beings in his life.  He was a very lucky man, and he knew it.
"You'll be fine hun, listen, if I can pass the bloody thing, anyone can."
"Yea, but it's changed a lot since when you took it, Mum."
"Excuse me, madam, it's not changed that much, if you don't mind."
"It has Sheila," Mike had a workmate who only had a test last week and he has been listening to him talk about it on the run-up.  Half of the stuff he has spoken about, Mike has not even understood.  "They cover all sorts of shit now, that we didn't have to do."
"Like what?"
"Block changes."
"What's a block change when it's at home," Sheila eyed Lucy and twiddled her finger around the side of her head, nodding towards Mike. "He's going mad, your Dad."
Lucy knew this one and wanted to show her knowledge to her Dad, "It's when you miss out a gear eh Dad?"
"She's a clever lass, my girl," Mike gave her a wink.  Sheila rolled her eyes.  
"I never had any problem missing out gears when I was learning," said Sheila, "I sometimes missed the brakes and if I was really on form, I could even miss pedestrians."
Lucy smiled at her Mum.  There was nothing that Lucy could ever say to her Mum that could not get sorted out.
"But cyclists, my instructor thingy used to say 'that was a bridge too far'.  I never did know what he meant by that, especially as I could never see a bridge when he said it."
"Ladies, is it too much to ask that I could possibly be given the opportunity to rest my head?"
"Course Dad.... sorry.  Love you, you two," she stood up.
Mike opened his eyes to see the young, innocent face of his daughter as she bent to kiss her Mum and then turned to leave.  'Not half as much as I love you my treasure' he thought to himself.  
"You will be fine in the morning love," Sheila smiled at her daughter, "Just you try and get some sleep, it will all turn out just fine, you see."


No comments:

Post a Comment