Friday 17 April 2020

Learning by seeing

I just attended a DIA webinar on the Standards Check.  Some excellent topics in the discussion, as is often the way.  There was the use of full licence holders, which subject to cover for the location you are in and the pupil you present.  Also, setting SMART goals, checking for learning, scaling for progress, re-setting goals when needed, doing a Pass-Plus session and more.

My only reservation with this kind of CPD is that it inevitably is classroom-based, meaning, theoretical.  In theory, you need to do this, this and that, don't forget this, and always do that.  

*gulp*

Some people just like to see things happen, and there is no shame in that fact.  I rather suspect I fall into this category.  I never hold back on swapping seats with a pupil, and just demonstrate what I am referring to.  It can be very powerful.  

My request this morning was that the DIA creates some in-car videos where the ADI does the Standards Check and as s/he mentions things, a graphic immediately appears on the video that relates to the score that would contribute to, and the competency it refers.  In this way, DIA members get to see the trainer modelling the required behaviours.  

They could make the video the length of the Standards Check and have a 'pupil' realistically role-playing.  You imagine the power of them doing say 10 of those videos, with different 'pupils', different subjects, and showing how it would be graded by the DVSA - now that is what I call creating value to the DIA members. 



No comments:

Post a Comment