Friday 24 April 2020

We don't know what we don't know

You know that feeling when you start talking to a new pupil.  That feeling of 'here we go again'.  Generally speaking, pupils always have (and will) underestimate the task in hand to learn to drive.  If you are a driving instructor who provides driving lessons on an 'as and when' basis, this presents little worry.  Just because the pupil has no idea of what they don't know, why should that concern you?  You ignore their ignorance and start giving them driving lessons. They are soon enough going to realise that they massively misunderstood the process of learning to drive.

It strikes me that we all, in this period of lockdown, could quite easily also be blissfully unaware of how we are mentally affected right now.

The problem is, of course, that none of us is conscious of what we are not conscious of.  Who really knows?

The night before last, I found myself awake at 2 am, and properly awake.  I eventually slept again at 5 am.  Now, what do I know about my sleep patterns?  I'm not a light sleeper; once I'm gone, that's it for me.  I need 8 hours a night.  I never struggle to start sleeping.  If I do read before sleep, it won't be for long.  A year or so ago, in one of my fitness periods when I used my Fitbit watch, it told me that I momentarily wake up a few times at night - but I was never conscious of it.  What happened two nights ago was different.  If it hadn't been dark outside, and 2 am, I would have quite happily got up, and started working.  I was properly awake.  Now that, I would submit, is not normal.  That raises alarm bells in my mind.  Equally as intriguing for me was that the next day, I did not feel in the slightest bit tired.

So where do I go with that?  A bit like our pupils who want to start driving lessons, I started talking to people.  The problem is, much like our pupils, everyone has got an opinion, and they don't always match.  I can't honestly say I'm much the wiser.  Some of the things that pupils have told me they have been advised by parents or friends about learning to drive, I would definitely say were unhelpful.

Try to keep an eye out for this though.  Mental health is a funny old thing.  I think it's a bit like knees - you'll take it for granted until you actually have a problem with it. 

In terms of risk factors, although I'm no expert on the subject, I'd imagine that this period right now is heightened risk.

The first goal I would imagine is to actually recognise the little blips.  I've got a couple of mindfulness podcasts that I subscribe to that I believe might help me out. 

Stay safe, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment