Friday 22 May 2020

The need for guarantees

Well, my new job is no nearer to starting after a week of pretty intense chasing.  I live in hope, I've had enough chats with my agency, surely if it was a dead loss, I'd like to think they would have told me by now.  It's funny the thoughts that start going around in your head.  I'm wondering if my age of 51 might be a disadvantage.  I've been looking around at delivery jobs too.  It's funny because my family must get on average five deliveries per week I would estimate, and by far the best delivery person is this old guy of about 65 - happy chap, very chilled and speaks my language.  Hospital jobs are a different breed I've noticed, I'm steering clear of those for the moment.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying myself.  The three online courses I'm doing are starting to rock and roll.  I particularly like the coding course.  I get a real buzz from completing the tasks - sounds silly, I know, but I love it.

Otherwise, what are our wonderful government up to?  Well, it appears that the State is now actively demonstrating itself to be overbearing on many fronts.  The CPS has decided to rescind all police prosecutions brought against the public under the Coronavirus Act.  No clearer symptom could you have asked for to demonstrate how trigger happy this authoritarian State is becoming.  This is of course, what happens when you have politicians speaking in the language and tone which they currently do.  Hancock is a master at it.  Patel, did a damn good job today at the briefing if you saw it?  She absolutely loves the power of explaining the consequences of not complying to her "sanctions" as she described it.

The start point of schools opening for the 1/6/20 is now looking unrealistic, so is mid-June.  Seems Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland may have called this one correctly.  The "science" as we all now refer to it is not conclusive (there's a surprise), the unions hate the idea, parents don't much care for it.  It does make me laugh this "science" talk.  By it's very nature it will be inconclusive - rarely is a projection or even a result an absolute.  We seem to now fear uncertainty.  Quite how driving instructors have managed to do their job with the number of statistical accidents that occur is nothing short of a miracle.  

"Well, I would love to assist you with some driving training so that you can get your licence, but statistically, it's not an absolute certainty that in doing so we will NOT have an accident.  As such, much as I'd like to help you, I'm afraid the 'science' simply does not permit it"  

No comments:

Post a Comment