Sunday 24 March 2019

Being healthily busy

When does being 'busy' start to become unhealthy?

For me, the short answer is after 10 hours of instruction per day.  I'm not referring to 10 hours of being on the road, but actually, 10 hours working 1:1 with customers.

Readers of my blog may have picked up that we have had some work done on our house in the last 12 months.  Finding good quality tradespeople is not easy; waiting for them to become available is commonplace.  Everyone is busy.
  
Let's say I do a couple of my intensive driving courses in a Monday to Friday week.  That means I start training with a pupil at 8 am, and I finish teaching at 5 pm (it includes an hour lunch break). That is going to provide me with a revenue of just shy of £1800.  I have a decision to make about what more I add to my diary.  Do I do more work in the evenings?  Do I work at the weekend?   There is no stopping how much I can do.  But there comes the point where it is wise to ask is it healthy?

As a PDI you could be thinking about setting up your own driving school business, sourcing your work and providing traditional pay as you go driving lessons for say £35 per hour.  Once cancellations and travel time is factored in, then how much time per day are you working 1:1 with a pupil?  It is precisely that time that represents the profit-making service.

No comments:

Post a Comment