Tuesday 5 March 2019

Your thoughts?

This will be one of the strangest blogs that I reckon I will ever write.
  
I am attempting to maintain an emollient position in this strangest of accounts regarding a driving test I have just observed.  The following miscellany of facts as witnessed by me was from the rear seat sat behind the candidate, my pupil.
  
I completely understand if you read the following and consider it to be arrant nonsense that I must be making up.

How best to describe what I have seen I wonder?   I'll list what I saw in no particular order.

We turned left into a one-way street where the examiner then instructed to turn right at the end of the road.  The end of the road was a very short distance away, and my pupil did a complete lane change without observations; the examiner did a swift, darting check over his right shoulder while we were moving over to the right (no vehicle was to our right).

My pupil came around a right bend in a one-way street and mounted the kerb with the front nearside wheel; it was a proper thump of a contact where the wheel went entirely off the road.  This was promptly followed by my pupil not stopping for a person stood by the driver's door of a parked car to our right; he had a leg/foot in a plaster cast.  The person was hobbling along, but rather than pause and allow him to clear the middle of the road; my pupil just continued driving - I would estimate we were about one foot from the pedestrian.

With parked cars on the left (our side), in a busy residential area, my pupil approached and continued to pass them, crossing over the middle white line and in doing so made an oncoming vehicle slow abruptly right down almost to a stop where the examiner waved at the female driver as we passed.

On two hill starts, we rolled back before moving forward. 

Two moving offs did not have a blind spot check over the right shoulder.

The manoeuvre was pulling up on the right.  Having done so, the examiner asked my pupil to reverse back two car lengths staying reasonably close to the kerb.  As the car reversed, we were moving increasingly further away from the kerb, and my pupil was only looking in both side mirrors, no central mirror check and no turning of the head at all.

On one right emerge, we pulled on to a single carriageway in nationals, and a white vehicle was immediately right behind us.  On a right turn, a small van behind overtook us as we turned into the minor road.

My pupil repeatedly pulled up to junctions for an emerge, taking the gear lever out of gear into neutral and sat there unprepared for an emerge.  To me, this appeared to be a theme where he was planning for a stop as opposed to being open to keep going, and it caused an unnecessary wait.

When some red roadwork traffic lights turned to green on a steep incline, my pupil set off and attempted to change into second too soon, and the car was right on the brink of stalling.  The examiner verbally intervened and instructed him to stay in first to get some momentum up the hill.

 On a couple of occasions, I felt we were travelling too close to the vehicles in front (in terms of normal seperation gaps).

On the instruction of turning left at the end of the road (emerge), my pupil put a left signal on too soon when there was a junction - although no-one was coming out of the junction.

Our position in the road appeared to me to drift towards the centre on a couple of occasions - one of which was on a single carriageway in nationals, with vehicles oncoming.  Although I didn't think the offside wheels went on to the middle white line, they would have been very close.

On the debrief, the examiner having passed my pupil gave a most comprehensive account for all the faults that had been marked (11 in total).  I will post up the fault sheet when my pupil emails a photo of it over to me.  So while handing over the test pass certificate the examiner gave an extremely strange non-sequiter.  He advised my pupil to take up some more driving training with me.  He said that my pupil should buy some more training from me.

After ten years of observing driving tests, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the requirements expected but this experience today has completely left me at odds.  Perhaps you, my reader, may consider this an edifying journey through the mind of a driving examiner?

No comments:

Post a Comment