Thursday 14 March 2019

Driving instructors' sat nav device

My TomTom sat nav has given up the ghost.  It has been well used since the "new" driving test (Dec 2017).  I've replaced it thanks to Amazon (Tom Tom 52 Start + rubber mat + hard case is just shy of £130), with the "click to delivered" expediency that we have all come to expect.

I'm not a great lover of it.  I think it is pretty naff, but as a driving instructor reviewer on Amazon stated with reluctance to countenance the product, there is no choice as this is the model used by the DVSA on their driving tests.

My understanding is that they are going to review it once two years have elapsed.  It has this very annoying tendency to instruct a driver to "keep right" when it merely wants them to stay on the current road they are on and not take an upcoming exit.  Talk about misleading to a candidate on a driving test.  The examiners do their utmost to manage the situation; I imagine it must test the patience of even the calmest amongst them.  It's functionality is basic and the user experience is unrefined.

The vulnerable point in my experience was the socket going into the device for power.  With time, it becomes loose and therefore unreliable.

With a bit of luck, we will only have to endure this sub-standard product for another nine months or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment