Saturday 5 May 2012

Late cancellations


I had a cancellation yesterday, 50 mins before the session was due to begin.  Thankfully, this doesn’t crop up much, but when it does, it is so infuriating.  ‘Feeling ill’ was the text message. 

Generally speaking people don’t realise how much a late cancellation puts a spanner in the works.  The planning of sessions is no small thing, one leading on to another, the location of the pick up as well as the location of the training in the session has to be carefully thought out; not just so that it is making the best use of my time, but so it practically works.  That is completely thrown out due to a late cancellation.  The session cancelled yesterday was 4.30 – 6.30pm, thankfully the Learner who was due to start from 7 – 10pm was willing and able to start at 5pm instead.  That was lucky really.  So, I ended up finishing last night earlier than I had expected first thing in the morning.  But that is not the full extent of the disruption it causes.  There were other people wanting the 4.30-6.30pm slot yesterday which were disappointed not to get the time they wanted.  Not only that, but the person who cancelled yesterday, was not able to get a new appointment for another 2 weeks – which then delayed his own personal development.  Everyone loses out. 

It really, really does mess things up for everyone.  Before I come across as being a real heartless swine, let me say that I’m perfectly willing to accept that people get ill.  No problem accepting that.  But to leave cancelling the session until 50 mins before it is due to start?   That is showing a lack of consideration for me trying to run a business.

The other week a Learner of mine texted me 25 mins before a 3 hour session was due to begin, telling me his Gran was ill, and so he had to cancel.  Well, I’m afraid that person lost his money for the session, and as a result stopped training with me – which I have no complaint about.  I’m running a business here, and I get customers to print off, sign and date my Terms & Conditions page before they start training with me for good reason.   

No comments:

Post a Comment