Thursday 17 May 2012

Security Questons


I got a cold call from ‘Waveney’ yesterday, who provide my driving instructor car insurance.  At least, that was where he said he was from.  Before he could say anything to me though, he attempted to ask me for some ‘security’ questions.  The problem as I see it when these organisations do this to us is that we have absolutely no idea who we are really speaking to do we?

HSBC did it to me earlier in the week too.  I’ve been a customer with them for over 20 years, and yet despite being an internet customer they still apparently feel the need to ‘cold call’ me and want me to answer questions with personal information before they speak any further to me.  When I requested that they update their records so that they don’t cold call me any more in the future, she told me she was not allowed to, for security reasons, as it breached data protection!  You have to laugh at the irony!

The chap said to me yesterday that he was unable to speak any further about the purpose of his call due to me not providing the security information, and when I asked him why was it necessary to speak to me on the phone rather than via post, he said it was because they needed to record my voice recognition.  What?!

I know when I purchase shares, they record me replying ‘yes’ to the question “Do you want to proceed with the purchase Mr Ingram?”, and that is accurately timed, and is evidentially very important, but for updating your car insurance? 

When I dug a bit deeper with this chap it transpired that in order to comply with the Data Protection principle of ensuring they have accurate data on their customers, they CHOOSE to ask these questions at the beginning of the call as it is ‘easier’ for them.  I’m sure it is easier for them, and when I call them, I have no issue in doing it, but when I am cold called by them, and then asked to provide security answers, it seems to me that they are in fact breaching my own personal security and it is a practice that should be avoided at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment